Thursday 10 November 2011

Novak Djokovic - Post Match Press Conference

Once again thanks go to ASAP Sports for the transcript. 

N. DJOKOVIC/V. Troicki
4 6, 6 3, 6 1
An interview with:
NOVAK DJOKOVIC
THE MODERATOR:  Questions, please.

Q.  Was it difficult physically today, especially in the first two sets?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  Yeah, it was  well, it was a difficult match.  I mean, I still wasn't feeling as maybe I wished, you know, with my shoulder and condition.  But, you know, I pulled out in the end I think a good performance, a good win.
It's never easy obviously to play somebody that you know well and is your friend off the court, but a win is a win today.

Q.  There was lots of speculation on your form and how far you'd go in this tournament and whether you'd be able to play or not.  Here you are in the quarterfinals.  What's your answer to all these speculations of people who thought that you might not give it your best?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  There's always a lot of speculations.  That's all I can say.  Everybody's free to speculate on whatever subject they want.
I'm doing my job.  I came here to play the tournament, to play my best every match, and that's what matters for me.

Q.  How much of an advantage do you feel it is, you being you, for when you play guys like Viktor and Janko?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  That's something that in some ways I think you have to ask them, you know, because from my side  I feel the difference.  I cannot say I don't feel any difference, even though I am always trying to focus on my game regardless who is across the net.
But there is always a slight difference mentally when you're playing somebody that you know so well, as I do Janko and Viktor.

Q.  When you look at what you've achieved this year, do you ever think about next year and what a challenge that will be to even try to emulate what you did in the first eight, nine months of this year?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  Well, honestly, I try not to think about next year, because I try to enjoy the present and the incredible year that I had.
And it's still not over.  There is still this tournament to be finished and another one in London.  I think the World Tour Finals, the best eight players in the world, is, I think, crown for all the achievements.  Every match is on the top level.
So I still need to finish that, and then I obviously will take some rest after a very long season.  Then I start thinking about the new one, which I think is more or less schedule wise going to look the same as this one did in the last couple of years.
I will try to, you know, do my best in each tournament I play.  I cannot say I will repeat the success I have done this year, which is, you know, amazing, but you always try to look positive.
In the other hand, I know I can equally play well in all those tournaments that I've done this year, and so I will try to get as close to success as I can.

Q.  The first two sets you were far from your best.  Can you try to explain if it's lack of competition or if you have real issues with the shoulder and some motions?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  Yeah, I think it's a combination of some things.  But, you know, it's only my second indoor event after December last year, so I'm still kind of getting used to the conditions.
But, you know, I'm happy with the way things are going progress and game wise.  Health wise I think I could be a little better.  But, you know, I'm taking one day out of the time, and then we will see.

Q.  Next match could be Jo in front of his home crowd.  I mean, you've played French players here and you've done pretty well in the past.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  Uh huh.

Q.  How do you prepare for a match like that mentally and physically?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  Well, I prepare for each match very seriously, you know, regardless who I am playing against.  Obviously Jo, he's one of the home favorites and one of the crowd favorites, as well.  So.
A great player, has a very powerful serve, and he kind of performs as much as energy he gets I think from the crowd.
So this is somewhere where he has won in the last couple of years, somewhere where he plays well, so it's definitely a tough one.

Q.  People in sports always say that winning becomes a habit.  Is it possible to relate how the number of matches that you've won this year benefits you on a day like today, helps you get through a match like that that perhaps in previous seasons you might have lost it?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  Well, it's true.  In a way, confidence is something you always want to have at this stage.  When you're a top player and you're getting into the matches where opponents have nothing to lose against you, you always try to rely on that mental advantage that you have and the experience over the years playing on the top level.
So it might have helped me today in the match.

Q.  Today you made quite a lot of unforced errors.  What was the reason for that, and what do you think you would need to do to improve for the next match which will be tougher?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  Well, it's obvious that I'm still not playing in the form that I had in the last 10 months.  But as I said, it takes a little bit of time to get into the rhythm.

Q.  As phenomenal a year this has been for you and I know this event is still going and there is still one more to go in one sense will you be relieved once it's all over?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  I got that question today actually after the match, so I will repeat again:  Present is something that is on my mind, so enjoying really the moment.
But I will definitely like being on some tropical place with no racquet.  That is something I look forward to, I assure you.

Q.  I remember after you won the US Open someone said, What are you going to do?  You said, I'm going to have some alcohol and I'm going to have some gluten.  I wonder, did you have the gluten?  Did you enjoy it?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  I got injured after that, so I did have.

Q.  No, I was going to make a serious point.  What was the effect on your body of doing that?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  It was  I cannot remember, actually.  (Laughter.)

Q.  But you got injured?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  That happened couple days after in Belgrade when I got conscious.

Q.  What was the gluten you had?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  I don't know.  I don't know.  I think pasta or bread.  Sandwich, classic sandwich.


No comments:

Post a Comment