Thursday 6 January 2011

Serbia into the Hopman Cup Final

NOVAK Djokovic's 6-3, 6-2 singles victory over Belgium's Ruben Bemelmans has seen the top-seeded Serbian team into the Hyundai Hopman Cup XXIII Final on Saturday.

Serbia came into Thursday's Tie with Belgium needing just one rubber to qualify for the Final after 3-0 wins earlier in the week against Kazakhstan and Australia. After Ivanovic went down to Justine Henin, Djokovic got the job done with a straight-sets win over Bemelmans.

Henin's 6-4, 6-3 singles win over Ivanovic kept Belgium's hopes of an unlikely Final appearance alive, but Djokovic would have none of it and took care of business against Bemelmans.

The world No. 3 Serbian went on and won the Australian Open after last appearing at the Hyundai Hopman Cup in 2008 when he made the Final with Jelena Jankovic before losing to the USA team of Serena Williams and Mardy Fish.

He is now in outstanding form again on his third visit to Perth with his win over Bemelmans coming on the back of impressive victories over Kazakhstan's Andrey Golubev and Australia's Lleyton Hewitt.

There's no reason to suggest he won't go on to have the same success this time around based on his form so far in Perth and on the back of his leading Serbia to the Davis Cup just last month.

Djokovic is delighted with the way he's playing this week, is looking forward to being in the Final and trying to win the title with Ivanovic on Saturday.

''The last couple of months I’ve been playing maybe my best tennis and definitely a title in the Davis Cup gave me a lot of confidence and a very short off season as well, but that’s the way it is I have to adjust,'' Djokovic said.

''I’m still working hard off the court trying to work physically well and I’m really, really satisfied with the way I’ve been playing first couple of matches here. Everything seems to be working. I’m hitting the ball really well; I like the surface and the atmosphere.

''It’s unusual seeing in the opening weeks of the season so many people watching your matches. In the opening match I felt a bit nervous, but I got used to it and it’s great, so we’re really looking forward to the Final and hopefully another win.

''Usually the diamonds are for a woman so I mean Ana will definitely give her best and I will try to help her out and win it this time. Three years ago I played finals here with Jankovic and we were just close of making the title, but this time we are really eager to win and get those (diamond) balls.''

Courtesy: Hopman Cup

No comments:

Post a Comment