Tuesday 11 January 2011

Novak Djokovic - 2011 can be my year

Courtesy: ESPN

Novak Djokovic believes 2011 could be the year he breaks Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal's stranglehold on the world No. 1 spot.

The world No. 3 claimed his first grand slam title at the 2008 Australian Open, but has failed to build on his Melbourne triumph, and is yet to achieve his dream of reaching the No. 1 ranking.

But after a "mini-crisis", having changed his racket and overhauled his service technique, Djokovic is confident he can end his three-year lean streak.

"It's been three years since I won my only grand slam," Djokovic told The Times. "After that a lot of people expected me to win one more, a couple more, because I was really on the top of my game. But for some reason, mentally I was destabilised.

"I was always trying things, changing the racket. Everyone goes through a mini-crisis. You have to overcome it, you have to stand up and say, 'OK, now I really want to get back, now I have to dedicate myself to the sport and get a couple of good years and reach the lifetime goal, to be No. 1'."

Federer and Nadal have held a duopoly over the top ranking since 2004, but Djokovic believes he has what it takes to beat the world's best at the highest level, and has set his sights on a second grand slam title in 2011.

"I think I have all the qualities that I need to do it," he said. "Obviously I have great guys around that are able to win grand slams, even more now, but obviously Federer, Nadal are the best. But I've won against them and I know what it takes on the big stage."

However Djokovic, who is a popular member on the men's tour, refuses to adopt a 'win at all costs' mentality. He said: "If I have to sacrifice being No. 1 in the world that's OK because I don't want to change my personality. It's more important for me to be a good person than to be a good tennis player."

No comments:

Post a Comment