Sunday 23 January 2011

I'm hunting you - Tomas Berdych

Courtesy: HindustanTimes

Quiet man Tomas Berdych is happy to be virtually off radar at the Australian Open while hysteria builds over another possible final between tennis greats Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal. The Czech sixth seed, Wimbledon runner-up last year, told on Sunday that he was ready to go one better and claim a first grand slam title in Melbourne. "I am a better player now," Berdych said in an interview after booking a place in the quarter-finals with a 6-4 6-2 6-3 mauling of Spain's Fernando Verdasco.

"At Wimbledon I was riding a wave and beating guys one by one. This time I have a lot of new experience I have gained and it's definitely different.

"Everyone is trying to beat me because I'm one of the top guys and they have nothing to lose. I need to cope with this situation and so far I've done great.

"Roger and Rafa are two great stars, not just of these days but they're already part of history. That's how it is and I like being in this position.

"Now I'm into the quarter-finals and I'm the one hunting the top players."
Berdych will play world number three Novak Djokovic in the last eight at Melbourne Park, encouraged by the memory of his win over the Serbian in last year's Wimbledon semi-finals.

"He's a very tough opponent but I know how to beat him," said the big Czech, serenaded during his matches at the year's first grand slam by a vocal group of bare-chested fans.

"I did it in London but he beat me in the semi-finals of the Davis Cup and the World Tour finals.

"This one is different. I've already got four pretty good matches under my belt and I'm feeling confident so it could be really similar to my run at Wimbledon.

"I'm playing better and better, improving every match. Really looking forward to Djokovic. The attention is on Roger and Rafa -- it could be an advantage for me."

No comments:

Post a Comment