Monday 31 January 2011

Djokovic - I Want To Be #1

Courtesy: TheAge

Older, wiser, stronger and armed with newfound belief, Novak Djokovic has his sights fixed on the world No.1 ranking after landing his second Australian Open crown.

Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal have held a joint mortgage on the top spot since February 2004, but Djokovic insists he is now far better equipped to break the Swiss-Spanish stranglehold than after he broke through for his maiden major at Melbourne Park three years ago.

The Serbian ironman knows it won't be easy but, flushed with confidence, the 23-year-old hopes his coronation may even come this season.
"My goal is to be No.1 of the world and I'm doing everything in order to achieve that," Djokovic said on Monday as he savoured his 6-4 6-2 6-3 rout of Andy Murray in Sunday's Open final mismatch.

"Every year I have the highest ambitions because I always believed in my abilities and believed in my quality and I know that I can win grand slams and I have proven that.

"I know how to handle pressure, how to handle the big stage, so I guess it's just a matter of continuous hard work and dedication and consistency in the results and the ranking will come by itself.

"But it's going to be very hard because the main rivals for that spot, next to Murray and (Robin) Soderling, are Federer and Nadal, the two best players in the world who are winning most of the tournaments they play and most of the grand slams.

"So if I want to become the best player in the world, I will have to win more grand slams and try to get more points there.

"I don't want to stop here. Definitely I want to keep my body healthy, fit and ready for some more challenges to come. I feel that I have a good game for all the surfaces. I have proven that in the past."

Indeed, Djokovic, at only 20, was the youngest man in history to have reached the semi-finals at all four majors.

In addition to his two Melbourne triumphs, the long-time world No.3 has lost two US Open finals - last year to Nadal and in 2007 to Federer - and twice made the last four at both the French Open and Wimbledon.

Djokovic narrowed the rankings gap on Federer with his second straight grand slam semi-final defeat of his Swiss rival and says the dominant duo might soon need to make room for another serious challenger for the No.1 position.

"If people want to call me a part of the big three, that's great," Djokovic said.

"I have big respect for Federer and Nadal, everything they have done.

"They are great examples of champions in every sense on and off the court, so to be able to compete with them is a huge challenge.

"But since 2008, I'm a more complete player - mentally more experienced, physically fitter and stronger and I'm hitting the ball more powerfully."

After ironing out technical difficulties with his serve by "hitting thousands and thousands of balls on the practice court" and resolving some personal issues, Djokovic has burst to life in the past six months.

Before his romp through the Open draw, he inspired Serbia to their historic first Davis Cup final victory last month, then completed an undefeated Hopman Cup campaign in Perth.

"The Davis Cup win gave me the wind in the back and I was eager to come back and compete," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment